The Pandemic a Year On
Success Stories About COVID-19 Treatment & Vaccine Development
While the past year has been abnormal and quite challenging, it has been a constant motivation to know that we at ChemoMetec can play a part in the fight against the coronavirus:
- Early in 2020, we provided the Copenhagen University member of the PREVENT-nCoV consortium with our new automated cell counter to support their development of a COVID-19 vaccine. Now in clinical trial, this vaccine is based on the VLP technology. The PREVENT-nCoV consortium consists of six European institutes and biotech companies
- The Méary Center APHP is using our cell counter to develop an MSC-based treatment for patients with respiratory symptoms
- The Jenner Institute used our automated cell counter to develop the Oxford/AstraZeneca mRNA-based vaccine which is now being administered to many across the world
- Finally in November, we sat down and talked to Drs. Ali Salanti and Max Moscote Søgaard from AdaptVac and ExpreS2ion Biotechnologies respectively, to talk about how to fast-track vaccine development and testing. Their COVID-19 vaccine has been recently (as of March 2021) approved for clinical trials in humans
We also worked out a way to host live instrument demos online for those who have been interested in finding out more about how our cell counters and analyzers work. Our scientific support teams around the world dedicated their time to testing customer samples and discussing the ways our instruments can support their work. Though it’s a far cry from the ‘real’ thing and we missed being face-to-face with our customers, it was a good second-best solution to help us continue our involvement in important research worldwide.
A huge thank you to the researchers who took the time to validate our instrument for their vaccines or COVID-19 treatments, even when the pressure to deliver was upon them. And kudos to every single person out there doing the research, development, manufacturing, testing and roll-out of vaccines. We are rooting for your continued success, and you have already given us so much to be proud about and grateful for!
- AdaptVac: Developing a COVID-19 Vaccine Using VLP Technology
- COVID-19 Vaccine: ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 at the Edward Jenner Institute
- Science Talk: Fast-tracking a COVID-19 Vaccine
- Méary Center: Expediting Time to Trial for COVID-19 Patient Respiratory Treatment at the Meary Center AP-HP
- Industry: Virus production
- Industry: Therapeutic Antibodies
By Janny Marie L Peterslund, Scientific Affairs Manager at ChemoMetec
Janny Marie has a background in stem cell research at Novo Nordisk, Denmark. She worked at STEMCELL Technologies, supporting and managing the epithelial cell culture product portfolio. Now at ChemoMetec, Janny Marie supports collaborations with external partners and writes for the Cell Counting Blog.